Northeast State hosts the annual College Goal Tennessee event on Jan. 14 from 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. in the General Studies Building of the Blountville campus, 2425 Highway 75, next to Tri-Cities Regional Airport.
College Goal Tennessee (http://tn.gov/collegegoaltn) is a free, volunteer charitable effort to provide information and assist low-income and first-generation college students and their families. Students planning to attend the workshop need to log onto the Web site to register to allow for efficient seating. College Goal Tennessee helps families complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) required to qualify for college financial aid nationwide.
You can sign up for the event at www.northeaststate.edu/fahelpcenter . Students and/or parents should bring the following items if available:
• 2015 federal tax return or other income documentation
• Social security numbers for student and parents
• Driver’s license
• 2015 W-2 forms or other records of income
• 2015 untaxed income records – social security, temporary assistance to needy families, welfare, or veterans benefits records
• 2015 bank statements
• 2015 business and investment mortgage information, stock, bond, and other investment records
• Alien registration card (if not a U.S. citizen)
The FAFSA form, used at colleges, universities, and technical schools nationwide, should be submitted before Feb. 15 to get the maximum aid available, even if the student has not selected a college. In addition to being the application for federal aid, the FAFSA form also serves as the application for the Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship and the Tennessee Student Assistance Award programs.